Thursday, October 4, 2007

Slow Down Young Feller

Cowboys are 4-0 so it is past time for me to drop some Cowboys talk on the blog. I hate to admit it, but I am drinking the Kool-Aid. This team is arguably the best team in the NFC right now. If we can continue to minimize our injuries, and if the guys that are injured keep returning to play this should keep going.

All seems to be good so far under Head Coach Wade Phillips, and even more impressively under Offensive Coordinator Jason Garrett. Most fans around here are pretty much expecting to see this team get handed to "the anointed one" after a few fun-loving seasons under Wade. Hopefully we can keep Garrett around that long.

This offense is rolling over teams mercilessly like General Sherman, so much so my boy has been keeping a running list of collateral damage. The Barber-Jones tandem at running back has continued to be productive. People are arguing over who should be the starter since they have both played so well. No argument that MBIII has been better, but why change the formula that is working so well.

There are as always a couple of causes for concern. The first of which is the defense, after the Giants game to open the season it looked as if they were going to be a busted sieve. In the last 3 games they have seem to sure it up a lot better, so much so even Jacques Reeves seems to be gaining confidence filling in as a defensive back.

The other of course is the "elephant in the room" that you can't ignore and that is the combined 3-13 record of the teams the Cowboys have played this season. 2 of those teams have yet to win any games this season at all. You will hear a lot of homers make excuses, but I don't make excuses. Recent history surrounding this team requires for them to make believers out of people they have to go out and continue to win games.

The Showdown on October 14th against New England is about to rival the hype of a BCS Championship Game (I promise I am not looking past the game this week against Buffalo)..... Some would question, how much of a showdown this will be considering how unstoppable New England has been this season and in previous years in addition to the lackluster opposition the Cowboys have been rolling over. But considering how things looked during the off-season and up until the season began the fact that this has become "The Game" should be exciting for all Cowboys fans!!

All that being said this blog entry is really intended to talk about 1 player. Young Tony Romo! When they picked him up as a rookie free agent in 2002 I told my friends watch this kid he set all kind of passing records in I-AA while at Eastern Illinois. Having attended a I-AA school myself I have a strong appreciation for I-AA talent (Jerry Rice, Micheal Strahan, Steve McNair to name a few). Move forward 4 years by the time he had his first chance to play in a regular season game in the 2nd half against the Giants in Week 7 in 2006. I was thinking we have just threw away our entire season putting him in the game.

Move Forward 15 starts later and I am wondering what "The Coach" was thinking having this kid on the bench behind QB's already well past the twilight of their careers. In 15 games this kid has eclipsed the stats of just about any QB you can name over the same time period. He has passed for 30 and ran for 2 TD's. He has only thrown 16 INT's. He has thrown for 4100 yards and has a career passer rating of 99.8.

This season he has been virtually unstoppable, averaging at least 3 per week of what we like to call "pay me" plays. Plays so amazing that when he does it you can hear the money chips falling down all around him (referring to the fact he is about to get a new contract). My buddy showed up to the game in an All-White #9 Tony Romo jersey, and he told me that they come in All-Black as well. Now, I am not a jersey guy, but I am telling you I am digging this kid so strong I might have to get one!

To think a whole segment on the Cowboys and not one mention of "The Player."

No comments: