Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Case for Obama Pt. II

This is the 2nd installment of my series on my case for Obama. I probably have about 10, not sure I will get around to all of them. I will call this one....

Voters Judge Issues and Character Not Race

It is frustrating that racial issues keep rising to the top of this presidential primary. Most responsible voters will base their decisions on substantive issues. Voting based on a preference is not limited to race or Obama. Just as their are Black people that vote for Obama because he is Black, there are people that DO NOT vote for him because he is Black, there are people that vote for Clinton because she is White, or because she is a woman. Just as there are people that vote for McCain because he is White, or because he is old, because he is a Republican (even though he really isn't they still do).

Obama has primary victories in an array of states and has proven he can draw support from all races and regions, and that he is not overly reliant on Black voters. In my precinct which is 2% Black and heavily GOP Obama won the Precinct and Caucus. As I attended rallies, house parties supporting Obama in my area I found myself often as the only Black person. When I visited the Obama campaign office in North Fort Worth there were predominantly Whites of all ages, from all over this country California, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Colorado.

Obama himself frustrated said, "We keep on thinking we've dispelled this, and it keeps on getting raised once again. In each new primary, we seem to have to prove this stuff all over." Unfortunately neither he or anyone else can accomplish the political divisiveness of race.

Critics suggest he hasn't proven that he can win white, blue-collar workers, but he won in Virginia, Wisconsin, Missouri, Colorado, and Iowa!

No comments: