Monday, May 19, 2008

Rude or Not?

I am back in Destin for the 2nd time. Enjoying myself in the condo we rented for the week overlooking the beach. On my many trips to Florida, one thing that can't be ignored is how rude the people in Florida can be.

You realize as many of them have transplanted to Florida from Northern states, or rather snowbirds down for a week or several weeks that it isn't so much as they are rude as it is just the way they are.

It is to the point now that I just laugh about it. The latest is at this Car Wash we went to. This shows how the way of thinking breeds bad service and rudeness.

As we pull in there is a special called Wash & Go for $6.99. As we get to the attendant I tell him we want the special, he says OK, but we charge $2 extra for bug remover. I look at him and say that is kinda the purpose of getting the car washed is to get it clean. So paying $7 washes the car but doesn't get it clean? Then he says to get it hand-dried will cost $2 more. OK, so now drying is not part of the washing process. If you want us to wash it, you have to pay extra for us to wipe it off so it doesn't get spots on it and looks like it was never washed.

I am reminded of another pet peave, where they charge you a per tire fee to rotate all 4 tires. Everytime I hear this I can't help but think did you actually rotate my tire if you didn't remove another one so you have somewhere to rotate it to? If that is the case can I just get a 1 tire rotation? Charge me the same price in the end, but don't charge me per tire! Anyhow, this is an aside, back to the story:

I am like wow, so at this point I say well I may as well get the $11 wash since you are charging me for it anyway. He says yeah but we still have to charge you $2 extra for bug remover. I just laugh, whatever! I charge it to my nearly maxed out Floridians are rude account and wait patiently while they wash the bugs, but don't hand dry my car!!

My fault for being from Texas where for $5 they spray down your car to remove the bugs, and hand dry it at the end. Almost to say is there any other way to wash a car???

No comments: