Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Have you ever had one of those conversations?

Where you are talking to someone, and you know the person you are talking to, but you somehow mix up the conversation you had with someone else and apply it to them. So you are asking them a bunch of questions based on a conversation you had with someone else.

What makes it even more crazy is some of the facts match up, so the questions seem odd to the person but they answer them based on what they think you meant. Then you finally realize who it actually was that told you the things you are asking this person about, and you try to change the subject and get back on track..... By this time the other person is ready to move on; because they aren't completely sure what you are talking about, or that you actually know who they are!

Man I am getting old................ Did I totally confuse you?? Here is the story, not necessarily all that interesting, but just an example of what I meant.

So I ran in to James at Church the other day. For some reason I am thinking the last conversation I had with him he was telling me about his step-children that recently moved in, and how he was adjusting to fatherhood never having children of his own. We exchange the usual pleasantries and greetings, and then I asked him how his kids were doing? James was like HE is doing pretty good. Keeping me busy, he has me running so, you see how I am losing weight. I was like yeah, I was just about to say you were looking pretty trim. So it's good to hear everyone is adjusting well. He kind of looks at me like, huh? So I say how long did you say they have been here now? He says let's see HE is 9, we moved down here from Wisconsin in 2000 so about 8 years.

OK, so I finally realize this is not the right person. I am thinking of a conversation I had with a guy named Dan who has a wife from Thailand, and her kids just moved here from Thailand some time last year. In my defense James has a wife from Korea so it is plausible mistake right??

So at this point, I just change the subject and asked him if he attended the Easter Service? He kind of had this look like, what just happened here? He mumbled an answer and was pretty much making his way to the Sanctuary.

No comments: