Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Have you ever had one of those conversations, pt II?

You answer your phone and the person calling you asks, "hey how are you doing?" Then you say fine, or OK, or not bad or whatever pleasantry you like to use. Then they say, "What do you have going on this weekend?" Then you say without even really thinking about, "Oh, nothing!"

It is all downhill from here. They say, "Good because I need someone to help me move my stuff this weekend." Or worse they invite you to some pyramid-marketing presentation, or invite you to some other type of cheesy event!

Well, I no longer make this mistake. My answer to the question "What do you have going on this weekend?" Is "Oh man, I am busy almost every minute this weekend, you wouldn't believe." Then I rattle off an endless list of activities not even leaving 15 minutes of free time for them to try to weasel in.

Sometimes they may even tell you what they had in mind anyway hoping you will cancel an activity (or maybe they think you are lying)!

The first time I did this, I felt kind of bad as I try to be open and honest with people as I can, but then I realized:

1) They really don't care what I am doing this weekend, it is just a lead in
2) It is never anything good if it was they would say upfront; because they know you would drop everything if they tell you they have the suite at the Dallas Stars game
3) 98% of the time it really is true that you are busy, but when asked you really aren't thinking, and once you say "nothing" if you try to come back and say you are busy it sounds like an excuse.

So, now you know if you want me to do something or go somewhere with you the conversation needs to be, "hey how are you doing?" and then "hey man I bought a washer and dryer and I need to get you to help me pick it up." There is no way I am gonna say no, we just may have to do it when I am available, and I need you to have your stuff together when I get there.

If you got tickets to the game you don't even have to ask, you just need to tell me when and where.

Otherwise, I AM B-U-S-Y!!!

No comments: