Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Would one of us had said that....really???

A friend of mine brought to my attention he was surprised at my anger about the Imus controversy. He reminded me that I never get mad about these type of remarks. I didn't even get angry at Michael Richards (although I no longer watch Seinfeld re-runs). For goodness sake I listen to conservative talk radio on a regular basis.....

So it made me think, why did this incident make me so angry, and it dawned on me. I don't think one of us would have made this comment. Most Blacks that actually sat down to watch this game or those familiar with the story of Vivian Stringer and the Rutgers women's basketball team have nothing but a sense of pride for what they had accomplished and what they had been through as a team and as individuals. I believe that if Vivian Stringer walked into any congregation of Black people she would have received a standing ovation.

Then to hear Imus discard them like they were crackheads on the street, welfare mothers with 5 illegitimate children, or Celie from the Color Purple. It reaffirms for me exactly why White people can't use words they hear Black people say; because they do not understand the context. I think even the so-called rappers and comedians that keep being assaulted for their use of this offensive language would have showed this group of women nothing but love if they were speaking in a public forum. If they had watched that game they would most likely have been commenting on how "fine" Candace Parker looks.




I was at a baseball game last week, and it was Dollar Dog Night. So the lines at the concession stands were 30 minutes long. So my brother comes back with a stack of hot dogs and this White guy in front of us is like, "man, you must have been in line for a long time." My brother responded, "yeah I was in line for a minute." The guy says, "really, you must be a VIP or something." We all just laughed he obviously did not understand.
So I thought I would offer up the following qualifications for White people to be able to have a "free pass" to say the things that we say. If you want to say what we say you must do what we do.
If you meet all of these qualifications you can tell anyone you have earned your stripes:
1) You actually own a CD of 2 of the so-called rap music artists that use offensive language, and have listened to at least one of them within the last 6 months.
2) You have purchased and attended a concert of a Black Comedian.
3) You have visited an African American Art Museum.
4) You have read a book written by a Black author that you did not hear about on Oprah.
5) You have seen at least 3 Black movies in the past 5 years, not directed by Spike Lee, or one that you heard about on Oprah (look for a future blog on the power of Oprah).
6) You can drive to a "soul food" restaurant for dinner w/o looking up the address or calling someone to help you remember how to get there.
7) You have had Black people in your house that are not the parents of your children's friends.
8) You can pick up your cell phone right now and in your contact list is a Black person you can call and say hey man let's go out to the Bar tonight have a drink and watch the game (someone besides me).
9) You realize that for Black people Kwanzaa is a celebration of culture, not a replacement for Christmas.
10) You hate George Bush!
What the White people that meet these qualifications will realize is that if you have this type of identity and understanding of the Black race you would never make that statement! At some point you have to ask yourself why would I even want to say somethimg like that?
I will say this and close on the Imus situation (I promise)! This is not written to give Blacks a pass to use offensive language towards one another, this still needs to be condemned. It is just to illustrate that there is a perfectly rational reason why Whites should not share this freedom (what I said plus the fact you may lose your job, or get your butt kicked).
I will give credit where it is due, as I heard this controversy polarize this nation as a race issue, I realize that most Whites were outraged by this as well. I can't say that I patronize one single Black media outlet, yet I constantly heard this action being condemned on televison and radio.
Ultimately, Imus did not lose his job because a bunch of Black people were outraged, he lost it because the advertisers were pulling support from his show. So really his demise was a product of pressure from White people!
So you all get love for that....really!

No comments: