Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Daily Observations, Pt III

Third edition of this series. This one is simply called:

"Where did they come from?"

So I went to the local theatre in my neighborhood to see "The Happening" the latest movie by M Night Shyamalan. I try to refrain from doing movie reviews on the blog so I will simply say I thought it was pretty good. I like it, if you like his other movies you would like this one, if not you will probably not like it. It is an anti-Hollywood movie, not conforming to any of the typical cliches and plot lines of your typical movies.

When we entered the theatre there were almost no seats left. So we went back out to get tickets to another show. My wife was set on going to see Sex and the City, and as we walked to the customer service desk to exchange the tickets I must have had quite the look of despair; because the manager says to us, "You may just as well wait for the later show because Sex and the City is so long that it will end about the same time anyway." This guy is my HERO, this guy gets my nomination for the "Band of Brothers" award for 2008.

So we get our tickets to the later show and this is where I get my 2 observations for this blog:

The 1st, since we have an hour wait before the next movie begins we hop across the street to a restaurant and hit the bar, so we can grab a drink and I can catch the highlights from the US OPEN! As we are sitting at the bar a girl walks in and asks me, "Is she (the bartender) taking a long time to get orders?" I tell her not too long, and why do you ask. She says, "Well I was watching a movie and I went out to get popcorn and I thought why not just go grab a couple of shots before I go back in." As you can imagine that was a little tough to absorb so I had her repeat it to me again. She did, and then she placed the order. The bartender asked her if she wanted the same thing she got earlier? She nodded, got the drinks, paid for them,,downed them back to back almost all in one motion and she was out!!! Everybody at the bar was in a buzz, laughing and discussing what we all just saw. The bartender hears all of the discussion and says, "Yep, she came in right before the movie and ordered the same thing." Something tells me she was not done drinking that night. If alcoholics go to AA this girl needs to go to AAAAAA.

The 2nd, when we got to the theatre still laughing at the story above (but only slightly as technically we had just done the same thing, only more tastefully). There was a theatre filled with Black people. Keep in mind the demographics of Blacks in my neighborhood is so small that on a bar chart you would not be able to even read what percent we make up because it is so small. So seeing Black folks at the movies is pretty rare. Seeing a lot of Black people at the movies is very rare, and seeing them in a M Night Shyamalan movie is even more confusing. Down right shocking! I couldn't figure out if there was some attraction or rapport that he (Shyamalan) has built up among Blacks with his movies? I mean I can't say I have ever discussed one of his movies with another Black person.

I asked a friend about it, and he says he would not have called that one? Maybe it was just because there was just nothing else out that WE wanted to see at the theatre???

No comments: