Thursday, June 12, 2008

What is a MAN 2 do?

One of my good running buddies is having some deep marital problems. To the point that they have now separated and he has moved out and got his own place.

It was to the point where even I (Mr. pro-marriage) had to say you 2 are so fixated on how great life would be apart it is virtually inevitable at this point that you separate for a while. Of course the look my boy had in his eyes could tell you, if she wanted to keep him at all she best not to let him move out.

So now he is OUT. I stopped by his house last week, he already has it set up, 2 bedroom townhome on the side of town where all of the beautiful people live, 5 minutes form work. He has both bedrooms furnished, got his wi-fi and cable hooked up, got a plasma screen hanging on the wall. I mean the house is fully furnished and he even has it setup nice for the weekends when he has his 2 girls. This by no means appeared to be a temporary arrangement.

So when I asked how things were going between him and the wife (since there was obviously no need to ask how he was doing), he said everything was great!! He said they talk to work out the bills, he gets to pick up the girls and keeps them regularly everything was all good, but not in a getting back together way.

So later that week after sitting through his wife and her friends (of which my wife is one) having yet another "he aint sh*t rap session." My wife is like, what you described doesn't fit my expectation. Well, she was right! The bottom fell out real fast on the Bachelor. The next time I talked to him he tells me that his wife will not let him see the girls and is not responding to his calls....

I say to him that she must have asked him for some money and he refused to pay. Man, the dude blew up on me! He was like, Oh she told you that! Well did she tell you she forged one of my checks that came to the house too.....

OK, always cool I look at him and say you know damn well I have not talked to your wife. Ya'll are predictable dude, ya'll don't have a patent on dysfunction. It always comes down to the dollar. I tell him wives sign checks for husbands all the time, it's no big deal when you are together.

Then I went Dr. Laura, all that aside here is what you need to do. First get a PO BOX and get your business straight. Next, you guys need to settle on what you are going to pay her to support the children and the household. None of that I'll buy them what they need when I come get them. You need to set an agreed upon amount and you need to get that money together immediately and regularly. You need to record every penny you give her and ever dollar you spend on the children and to support the household, and I mean tangible records not quoting amounts from the top of your head.

Lastly, if you are not going to make any attempt whatsoever to mend your relationship then you need to file for divorce. Not just be out here running around having a good old time. As of now you still have a wife and 2 kids, and 2 households to support since you moved out..

He argued a bit, but I was not up for much debate, as I am not trying to be a marriage counselor. I don't need to be convinced. Then of course we went back to my favorite subject, S-P-O-R-T-S!I left feeling blessed that I was on the outside looking in at this situation.

I haven't heard from him since?

No comments: